Kohlrabi is a delicious vegetable in the cabbage family. The taste is similar to a broccoli stem or cabbage heart, but milder and sweeter. It can be eaten raw or cooked.
Vegetables to Plant in Fall
Fall vegetables for transplanting are usually available early August through mid-October while supplies last.
Milmont offers a wide variety of fall vegetables in both seeds and plants. The categories below list all the fall vegetables we are currently carrying. To check stock, please call us at (540) 943-8408. And, be sure to check out our helpful articles about gardening, some of which are included below.
- When planning your garden, it is important to ask a few basic questions about time, space, preferences and how you will use the produce ... (Read Complete Article)
- The ideal soil for a vegetable garden is deep, friable, well-drained with a high organic matter content. Proper soil preparation provides the basis for good seed germination and the subsequent growth of garden crops ... (Read Complete Article)
- Mulching is a practice adaptable to nearly all home gardens. To mulch is simply to cover the soil around plants with a protective material, organic or inorganic. Mulches reduce weed growth, hep retain soil moisture and add nutrients ... (Read Complete Article)
- Soil moisture ... a healthy plant is 75 percent to 90 percent water. The plant needs that much water to carry out vital functions, including photosynthesis, support (rigidity), transpiration, and transportation of nutrients and sugars to various parts of the plant... (Read Complete Article)
- Article: Leafy Green Vegetables
- Article: Cole Crops or Brassicas